Changes to Rating & Point System

That’s good to know Dan…thanks! I think I misunderstood the impact.

I guess to clarify why I am having a hard time with the change…I have a medical disorder that is in a nutshell sometimes causes me to have a “sensory overload”, where if too many things change or are happening at one time, it kinda short circuits me and I have to take time to try to adjust.So I guess I do have bigger issues going on. :0)

I normally don’t talk about it and am not trying to give you tmi…but I guess I made myself vulnerable…so I wanted to explain so y’all don’t think I’m just being a baby or something.Sorry!

6 Likes

@hollygirl it’s a shame that part of your creativity is defined as a medical disorder. I think maybe the medical industry should visit SH for some alternative suggestions , I heard mentions of ‘fun contests’ , I’d like to suggest this as one. Could be therapeutic for people like us! Which I’m sure this is a common condition (don’t like that word either) for most creatives :sunglasses:

For example my disorder was known as a maniac depression now it’s called bipolar but I like to think of myself as a ‘roller coaster surfer’

3 Likes

Lovy, Liky, Okie and Nay

Lovies, Likies, Okies and Nays

:slight_smile:

1 Like

How about Lovie, Likie ,Okay, and Neutral? Neutral would indicate they are not on board, but wouldn’t seem so harsh as Nah.

2 Likes

Well Okay can be confusing when you try to talk about the smiley cos it’s a common word. Neutral doesn’t sound like a name, but I see your point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the support,Dem…I feel for you,because my son is bipolar…(or should I say a roller coaster surfer!)…so that is a familiar state of life I recognize. My issue is somewhat different…but something that impacts my life too in ways I am constantly having to adapt to.But hey…like you say…it makes for a certain kind of quirky creativity.Lol!

I’m still flipping out about this new scoring. Hopefully I will adapt soon and not have to back away from naming. I appreciate your sensitivity.Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah…your names are better…and you are right…those last two of mine aren’t names.I just wish if they didn’t like your name, there could be a more neutral way of passing on it, than a bright red rejection! :0)

Maybe the last one could be hmmm. :0)

2 Likes

@Dan…just to clarify…I know we don’t lose points anymore for low entries…but what happens to our percentages (or pie chart) if after the contest is closed the CH tanks all our entries to “nah” after the fact, as a way of sorting? Do they count against you as low rated entries then?

1 Like

Pass, Passies? lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

That can’t happen anymore, after the contest is closed points are frozen.

4. No Lost Points on Rating Downgrades (once Contest is closed)

Once a contest is closed, you will not lose points even if the CH downgrades your rating from high to low.

1 Like

And stats won’t suffer too?

I hope not. Let’s ask @dan.

Just to clarify, the stats are based upon high rated entries (OK + LIKE IT + LOVE IT) / total rated entries. So if the entries moved from high rated to low rated, it will still change your stats. The change we have made is to make sure you don’t lose points when such a rating change happens. Your stats are based on the final ratings you received on your entry.

Please note that all stats are relative - so the same issue applies uniformly to all contestants. At the end, your ability to submit more entries is dependent on your relative stats being higher than other contestants.

2 Likes

As you may have gathered in one of my previous posts, I liked the scoring system as it was. Yet I have to agree with SH, it was causing too much contestant/CH stress, so why not try something else? I also agree with some of the posts on these threads, that SH has made a valiant effort to get this right for everyone and we need not nitpick things too much without giving it some time. Yet, I am hearing some sensible feedback on the scoring descriptions. I think the “Like it” and “Love it” do capture the spirit and intent of 4 & 5 star ratings, but I am not so sure about “OK” and “Nah”? If I were to put myself in the shoes of a CH I wouldn’t want to say “nah” to someone who was trying to help me with an important project, I would use more finesse with the hopes that I would encourage them to do better. Business is for big boys and girls, but no reason not to talk nice, nice actually inspires greater effort and success. I am also not so sure about “OK” capturing the 3 star’s intent. “Ok” doesn’t say to me “you’re on the right track, try and improve upon it”, it rather says to me “not too bad”. I may be splitting hairs here, but it seems to fall short on encouraging further development upon the direction of the entry? Maybe “right direction” for OK, and “wrong direction” for Nah? Sorry to extend the thread…

7 Likes

So am i understanding this correctly… even if a CH takes your well rated entries prior to the contest closing and after the contest ends, diminishes them all to nahs for their convenience…you are going to be penalized still in your stats?

1 Like

Just realized I went from 30 to 15 allowed entries due to the rating system changes. Ouch… what a kick in the stomach. I don’t do this anymore but I used to delete entries that received poor ratings, guess that’s why this happened. Well now I feel like a newbie again. Feeling disheartened…

1 Like

@CherryPopNames, thanks for the feedback. We will consider making adjustments to the colors as well as the titles of these options once the new system has been used for some time.

@hollygirl, as explained earlier, the high rated % is used to provide additional benefits to those contestants who tend to receive relatively higher ratings compared to other contestants. This calculation is exactly the same as before, and we plan to keep it this way going forward.

We can not change this metric based upon the timeframe when the CH provided the ratings (i.e. before or after the end of contest). We use the final rating scores from all contests and calculate this metric at an overall level for all users. So, yes, technically your score could go down if a CH downgrades the ratings. Similarly, it could go up if they upgrade the ratings.

1 Like

@kreativekim, we had to make this change so that we are fair to all those users who were not deleting their entries, and as a result had a lower % in their stats. This makes it uniform, and creates a level playing field for everyone.

2 Likes