Automatic Recommendations

Hmmmmm… I thought the new feature was where the CH would see past entries they could choose from without us. I’m looking forward to Grant’s response to learn how it will work. I was thinking and actually hoping that it was a more automated concept that provides the CHs with the ability to consider names without us entering them.

@commulinks I deleted that because I realized I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant entries would be submitted for us, but I think you meant they’re just visible to them without providing ratings.

If this is what you meant than I’d be worried some good names are being viewed and potentially snagged with no way to track it because it was never an actual entry.

I’m really curious to see how this whole thing works :grin:

2 Likes

@Chasity2ku I realized that I had no idea how it would work when I started reading others’ impressions of it. I really did mean that I thought that it would be like a marketplace for CHs to choose names that match their criteria without us doing anything. And then I realized that this is just my impression of what Grant wrote, not necessarily what he meant. I would love for it to be a marketplace where it is passive for us. Where we don’t have to enter them but the CH gets recommendations but I have no idea if that is what it is or not now.

I don’t think that could work because several people could have the same entry as you from different contests, so it can’t automatically enter the entry. I would think it just gives you options of past entries. We have all entered names that say “already entered by another”…so it can’t just automatically insert these into a contest.

4 Likes

I know exactly what you mean @Commulinks. I thought the whole thing seemed pretty cut and dry…now I don’t know what to expect lol

1 Like

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great questions and comments.

We’ve posted a much more detailed explanation of the program here, Announcing: Name Genome Project

2 Likes

@Chasity2ku we were both right!

1 Like

Just an opinion - I see far less potential issue with making the recommendation appear to the creative as opposed to having them appear to the CH. Any more I rarely participate in non-guaranteed or the smaller contests so names I’ve had registered and not selected if done by the CH has been in guaranteed non-bottom dollar contests. Not that there is really any recourse now, but it sounds like our awareness of potential shady dealings will be greatly decreased ?

Also I see this opening the door for some really ticked off creatives when the algorithm decides to apply a win to a creative for a name entered by numerous creatives (not an issue if the recommendation is shown to the creative because then it’s a first come first served situation - much like it is now) . It is hard to picture how that algorithm can fairly judge that. AWESOME names have been entered into contests where they were extremely fitting for the business or service but the CH has “nah’d” them and names entered in other contests where perhaps they were less fitting but the CH may have been drawn to them and rated them as such. I worry that if the algorithm can not address the thought process/opinions of past CH’s or the accuracy of the information the CH has submitted how fairly it can choose which creative should be awarded? also what are the pitfalls for SH site/staff when the time comes to address things like that? Possible SUGGESTION (although I strongly support showing the recommendations solely to the creative): If the algorithm judged off of original submission date of each name per creative (based on those who opt in) - that might be more understandable/fair when it came to a selection based on an entry entered by multiple creatives. Again just my opinion and hopefully food for thought.

QUESTION: Say I was working on a contest and I wanted to enter Benchmark Ventures - no one had entered it yet but another creative had entered that in a contest previously and it appeared on the recommendations list - DOES that mean I am unable to submit that as an option based on my perception of the brief ? or will my manual entry trump the recommendation entry? IMO (at this moment )Manual should trump recommendation - manual means the creative was there - reading and doing the work at that moment with the specific CH in mind.

5 Likes

I completely agree…The only thing that sounds enticing about auto entries is potentially winning without ever even looking at a contest. How sweet would that be?? But…there are way too many concerns I have about the inner workings of it to opt in at this point.

I’ll prob hang back and wait for user feedback before I participate, if I decide to.

But I’m super excited to have my previous entries recommended to me!! I can’t find any downside to this feature…only ways it’ll help me!

1 Like

The way Grant explained in the other string about the Genome Project, the recommendations are not considered an entry in the contest unless the CH imports them. So, in your example, unless the CH has imported the suggestion, yours would be entered. It’s not different than any other entry.

1 Like

@Commulinks what happens if you manually enter the name and the name had already been suggested to the CH…
(1) Can the CH import the same name into their contest being unaware that it has been already entered?
(2) Would a pop up tell the CH the name has been already entered?
(3) Would the Creative not be able to enter the manual name because its on the CH suggestion list?
I’m starting to think that this will become very confusing to both the CH and creative
@Grant Maybe SH can somehow show us an example of a CH page. What exactly do they see and what will they see?

3 Likes

@LisaMac
You would not know if a name was suggested to a CH already. But, you will know if they CH imported your name into the contest and I imagine it will look just like if you did it yourself. If the CH accidentally tried to import the same name, I am guessing that the system would tell them the name is already in their contest and if it turns out that is not true, then we should report that to SH to fix. They are great about fixing glitches and that would be a glitch because I’m sure they don’t want that to happen either.

There are two different things: The suggestion list and the names the CH actually imports. We don’t know when our name has been suggested and the CH passes it by. So, we would still be able to enter the name because the CH hasn’t imported it.

My suggestion would be for creatives to try it and help SH work out any glitches.

Regarding duplicate names… Instant Recommendations will not block a Creatives from submitting a name unless it is “liked,” and therefore brought into the contests. Once an Instant Recommendation is moved into a contest, it will block that name from being submitted by a Creative. The inverse is also true. If a Creative submits a name into a contest, then the CH will not be able to bring the same name in from Instant Recommendations.

2 Likes

I got it. Thank you both.

1 Like

Instant Recommendations Beta launches today!

Instant Recommendations are now available for a subset of Contest Holders. Recommendations will only be available in Guaranteed contests with an award amount of more than $200. And we will continue to refine the suitability algorithm that is powering this program.

Don’t forget, you must opt-in to have your names Recommended. We also encourage you to add comments and categories to your previously submitted names by clicking on the Classify button, which is on each name within your My Entries tab–the more names you categorize, the more likely you are to be Recommended.

1 Like

I am super excited to see how this goes, Grant! Thanks to the whole team. I really appreciate that it is only for guaranteed contests of $200 or more, too.

1 Like

I agree. I am very excited about this new addition!

2 Likes

Grant, will we see the likes/loves our “bell” notifications?

Grant, is there any way that the system could identify if an entry was already classified? Perhaps a check mark after “Classify this Entry”? I started to go through some of my entries and classified a few and now I don’t know which ones I did…unless I click on each and every one of them. I am still a little reluctant to participate but want to be prepared in case I change my mind. Good luck to those above who are ready to take the plunge!

1 Like

@grant If an automatic recommendation wins, will we (the creative community) know it was an auto rec? I ask out of curiosity and I’d just like to see how often it happens :slightly_smiling_face: