Anyone else think that?

Do u really think that names make the company ? I c it the other way around. A name is just a name until a product sells it am I right? There’s no argument that a name that clicks helps but I think a great product is what makes a name great. Just wondering

They work together. As you’ve stated, a great name will certainly not fix a poor product. At the same time, so many great products, businesses, apps, etc., have benefited from a great name: Apple, Uber, PayPal, Twitter, SalesForce, Zappos, MailChimp, Constant Contact.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Sort of the old chicken or the egg thing I guess. If u take a second to disconnect names from products could you tell what they were? Like id never relate uber to an (in essence) taxi service…idk I disect stuff way too much lol and was just wondering what others thought about it. I for one, cannot look at a logo or a business name even while driving down the street without thinking how would I have made that!? Or tried to anyways. I haven’t won a logo yet but I do love trying and I made the examples! So as my son says happy potato! :grinning:

1 Like

@Dansma - Names that explain the product are known as Descriptive. Names like Uber are Intriguing.

Here are some classified Squadhelp Contest Winners:

Descriptive
Rare Beauty
Bond Savvy

Experiential
Sage & Saddle Outpost
Petals & Pinot
Sound Oasis

Clever & Fun
Insight Out
Bulky Brain
Whey To Go

Intriguing
Orbitfish
MoodyMango

Emotional
Ready to Rise
Friendly Fig

Here are some articles that explain this further:

http://blog.squadhelp.com/5-categories-of-effective-evocative-names-for-your-business/

http://blog.squadhelp.com/find-your-perfect-business-name-with-the-squadhelp-naming-pyramid/

1 Like

It depends a bit on the industry. My parents have very successfully run businesses for years in a law/medical related field where they really didn’t need to advertise or market. Their company names were horrendous…I always tease that they were rarely the ones to answer the bulk of the calls because the names were long and cumbersome. However, since their clientele was more based on my father’s reputation than on going out there and selling themselves, it never mattered. If it had, I would have tried harder to help them improve on their branding. :smile:

I agree with Dansma. “Apple” means nothing, “LinkedIn” means nothing, out of context. Somebody, a person, said “Apple”, however. Somebody said “LinkedIn”. For a reason. The reason is the miracle that drives we creatives to produce day after day for pittances. The “apple” is unreachable, except in rare moments when the universe clicks and smiles upon us briefly.

May we each and all find apples. Keep reaching into the branches.

1 Like

Perhaps the name was the tail of the beast?

I actually have no idea what uber is for so tghat one doesnt really work :wink: other successful names that i would never look at as they make me want to vomit are zulily and zillow

1 Like

[quote=“BillWarburton, post:9, topic:2135”]
…other successful names that I would never look at, as they make me want to vomit are zulily and zillow [/quote]
Wow, Bill - you really dislike those, huh? :laughing:

I believe Uber was actually called UberCab (or something similar), and then they simply removed the Cab for some reason. It also means “extremely good” or something like that in German.

Uber simply translates to “over”, “above” or “across” in German.

Famous philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche use Übermensch to mean the ideal superior man.

Today, the OED lists uber as “denoting an outstanding or supreme example of a particular kind of person or thing," and in the Urban dictionary, uber is said to mean “the ultimate, above all, the best, top, something that nothing is better than.”

Uber did start as UberCab. They changed there name after having regulatory issues related to being an unlicensed taxi service. UberCab is a hybrid name (intriguing and descriptive)–Uber is simply an intriguing name. (More about naming Styles.)