Abandoned Contests, Messaging Policy & Winner Selection

Not sure that’s the best idea, and I’m sorry to argue this, but not everyone enters a lot of contests to just enter the contests. Activity cannot be garnered by how many contests you enter because a lot of us pick and choose our ‘battles’ or contests that we think we may have a better knowledge of than just throwing our names into a hat if we don’t understand the CH or the industry/product.

Continued:
Not only that but some creatives have lives, work, kids, school, etc and can only do this so frequently so throwing them out of the selection just because they have less time than you diminishes the time and work they do put into it. It would not be fair to just say oh well, your work isn’t as appreciated because you’re too busy to be here otherwise or you don’t enter enough contests to qualify. I think everyone that enters should have a fair chance.

9 Likes

I’m talking more about ones who do a hit and run.They enter one or two contests…then are never heard of again.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t argue your point back, We are thinking more along the lines of those that enter under say, 10 contests (total) in a given time frame, that would be excluded,

No, no I know what you’re saying Seez, and while I agree with both you and Holly – I also know that it would not be very easy to determine who is just burning or who does not have a lot of time. So ‘assuming’ and allowing for a algorithm that would slide out all of those that fit within a certain time frame or number of entries without taking different people’s situations or scenarios into account. Therefore it’s possible that many would be penalized or punished unfairly just because some others just enter and ditch and never come back or others are just inactive, or whatever the case may be which is actually a purposeful thing. The people that are the ones that have work or life issues or whatnot or those that are picky and choosy would be the ones involuntarily being penalized. Listen, I really do agree, and please don’t think I am arguing this, rather just offering food for thought. I know you both have been here longer and probably have a lot more opinion than I could about this, and I respect that – however, I will say this. There are already so many hoops to jump through with trying to please each and every CH and keep track of the things we have to, working as hard as we do to come up with things that are original and fit, and all the other factors you can throw in – I don’t think you should have to ‘earn’ your right to be able to be considered if a contest is abandoned in the case of barely any selections or none. I think you’re already earning your right to potentially win by doing the work and getting your submission in.

The only change to this that I could feasibly see is if someone is one that literally jumps in last minute to submit just for a chance to win with something that’s winged-out, just because they figure it’s been abandoned and they then stand a chance. But even then, if an algorithm or parameter is set for that – people that don’t do that purposely or with knowledge of are more frequently going to be those that get penalized versus those that the algorithm was initially designed for to weed out. Same as above. But then again, this is just one opinion.

4 Likes

Why should we exclude anyone from winning an abandoned contest? They entered the contest. It should be open to any who entered that particular contest.

11 Likes

I agree. It shouldn’t matter how many contests they entered or how long they have been a member; if they entered the contest that means they did the work. It wouldn’t be fair to kick them to the curb.Just wanted to share my opinion folks.

4 Likes

People are excluded. Actually, almost everyone is excluded from abandoned contests unless they enter early and get a high rating.

True story. For a while there, I wasn’t entering contests until several days in. I have been trying to be diligent about getting in quickly, but with my regular job and home priorities, I can’t always do that. I find that part of the new abandoned winner selection disheartening because some of my entries are still marked as “Not Yet Seen.”

3 Likes

And because some of us actually do have alternate lives ---- we are not online 24/7 ---- sometimes we do not see an open contest until there are are plenty of submissions already entered. I am rarely one of the first to enter even on a regular basis, but I can work just as hard when I do get in. I’d hate to think that my work doesn’t qualify because I was not first in line. I recently had a death in my family and took almost 2 weeks off. Even getting back into my regular groove is difficult.

4 Likes

I have found myself at the same disadvantage at times, as I can’t be on as much as I used to,and often catch contests in later days, (sometimes in their closing hours), and often have the same situation, where my entries are not only not rated…but not even seen.

Maybe there needs to be a limit on the number of entries the CH can view at a time. Like a batch of 25-50 etc., that must be rated before they can see the next batch. The CH might not become overwhelmed so quickly. This should also cut down on “Seen but not rated” of “Not Seen by CH” entries. It would also give SH Admin a peek into possible abandoned contests and maybe contact the CH before abandonment. Just my two cents worth lol Thought? @Dan

6 Likes

@LisaMac I love this idea!

2 Likes

Thank you LOl There has to be a happy medium somewhere

Good Idea @LisaMac the only downside might be that sometimes they need to take the entries and present them to a team of people and may not want to rate until they get everyone’s feedback.

@15001aliq I am SO sorry to hear about your loss in your family, that must be very difficult !!! Take Good care and I hope things ease for you very soon !!! :green_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much <3

4 Likes