Abandoned Contests, Messaging Policy & Winner Selection

@Chasity2ku, As some of the contestants stressed, not an insignificant minority of contest holders rate only entries they like. That puts seen but unrated entries (not always) in a rating category being lower than the lowest rated ‘No, Thank you entries’ Would it then be fair to contestants with the lowest ranked submissions to deselect such entries from the possibility of being marked as best entries, leaving, however, such option intact for contestants with seen/unrated entries that are even lower on the quality/liking scale?

@Chasity2ku, By law of unintended consequences, the least liked entries at times are masked by the mass of seen but ungraded entries, leading to a mild incongruence between the actual quality and the rating score that is not fully able to reflect the former, leading to gradual erosion of the rating score of the creatives whose ‘No,Thank you’ entries, from the perspective of rating, compare unfavorably to the unrated ones. The solution to this is in offering the CHs a tripartite scale of rating, starting with ‘On the Right Track’, ‘Like it’ AND ‘Love it’ entries, which would be in line with the predicament of rating only the entries above being merely liked for them to be rated. I bet, that would keep unruly proliferation of submissions, per contest, at bay :slight_smile:

@vision I’d absolutley prefer that over a large number of creatives efforts being for nothing. Because remember, even the loved entries weren’t win worthy according to the CH, why should they be a shoe in by someone else’s standards?

Plus, you’re trying to rebuttle my idea based on what you think the CH is thinking. The point of my idea is that we don’t know what they’re thinking. They all rate and stop rating and abandon for a mass of different reasons. My solution pays no mind to what they’re thinking and puts everybody on a level playing field, other than the high rated entries. They will have an advantage. This is as fair as it gets in my opinion. The downside is in you’ll have a handful that submit crud in hopes it doesn’t get rated. I’d love to find out how big of a problem it would really be :wink:

1 Like

@vision to be honest I’ve been pushing for the rewording of “no, thank you” but I’d be just as happy if simply didn’t exist as well. While its a great sorting tool for the CH it serves to only confuse me half the time.

@Chasity2ku, The point i made was to invalidate both options, not to defend either of them.

@Chasity2ku, My triple division solution would necessitate refinements to the rating(percentile) algorithm along these lines:

1. Computation of the percentage of high rated vs total rated entries (and subsequently of a percentile score) will be substituted by the percentage of rated vs total entries (including seen but unrated with special conditions to apply) and will be calculated on the basis of deriving a score per each individual contest, That in essential in order to take into account individual rating activity patterns (different from an individual rating style) for each CH.

2. Only seen entries can be taken into consideration.

3. Determination of the time-line when rating activity ceases (with the last rated entry in the contest) will be guiding efforts to set out exact boundaries with respect to unrated entries for inclusion in a rating formula.

@AlwriteyThen , all abandoned contests follow the same rules, so if you are the only creative with a rated name (On right track or higher), you will win that contest as per our abandoned contest policy. Unfortunately the CH abandoned that contest due to comments posted on the contest page. Even if we offer a full refund in such situations, we will still honor the winner selection process for Guaranteed contests.

1 Like

@Chasity2ku, we have considered your suggestion but unfortunately we can not implement a policy that creates an incentive for excessive contest participation and can potentially dilute the overall quality of submissions. We will stay with the current policy for now, but will continue to explore other alternatives in future.

Just curious, I had a look at contests closed pending a winner and in particular the dates of the contest. There seems to be quite a few of guaranteed contest that have been closed for longer than a month but have not been recognised as an abandoned contest as yet. Is there a reason for that?

I think some have been closed for 2 months.

1 Like

@Skevans,

We are working on closing all contests that ended more than 30 days ago. Unfortunately the current process of sending a reminder 2 days prior to awarding an abandoned contest is very manual and ends up creating a backlog from time to time. We will be simplifying that process soon to ensure that the contests close on a timely basis.

2 Likes

Awesome sounds good!

Thanks for getting back to me, Dan. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I just read a post that stated in order to collect from an abandoned contest that we must have “Best Entry” marked for that contest. Is that still the format? Thanks in advanced for the reply!

Nope, not at all. That’s an old system. You don’t need to take any action to be selected for an abandoned contest.

Thanks for letting me know, BeDaring! I took some time away from the site and only returned a couple months ago, so I’m still trying to get all the “new” changes down.

1 Like

I got my Messaging abilities taken away for a simple accident comment. Really sucks as I can not get info or even give info to other contestants asking a question that I know the answer to. There was a contest where the CH wanted a name for a business I think it was. I hit the send message button (not really aware that it was some kind of private message) I asked the CH if the name was going to be for that particular business location or if they needed a name that would work if they expanded to other locations. And for that I got my messaging ability taken away because SH said I was trying to get some kind of Unfair advantage or something. Not even a warning. This combined with CH that abandon contests at a high rate after you put so much effort in really makes the whole process kind of discouraging. Why not have SH moderate the Comments and act as a filter between the CH and the Contestants where the comment has to be approved before it is visible on the message board, and eliminate the problem. And do away with Private messaging, Why is there a Private messaging option in the first place? Get rid of it so no one makes the same mistake I did.

Efry, I don’t message the CHs anymore except to thank them if I win or receive a bonus. I recommend communicating via the comments (in a site-approved way, of course.)

3 Likes

@dan I’ve been wanting to ask you this question all weekend but it was so quite around here I didn’t want to bother you :wink:

I know this has been discussed but I don’t recall the resolution.

I use an iPad and to my knowledge there is no way to sort by abandoned contests. Now that we don’t get notification emails for this I pretty much have to wait for the winner to be announced THEN check if my domains were registered.

Is there a sorting option I’m not aware of (for mobile use/iPad) or can this feature be added, please? Thanks :blush:

2 Likes

@efry I understand this was an accident and if it makes ya feel any better I believe SH already has plans to eliminate the private messaging feature (outside an entry) so hopefully it won’t be an issue in the near future for you or anyone else :blush:

3 Likes

@Chasity2ku, We will improve our sorting feature soon. We are holding off on new changes for some time while we complete some of the underlying changes in our platform, as well as some UX related updates on the site.

2 Likes